Saturday, January 28, 2012

Betics r da best....

Since I have spent a substantial amount of time with my diabetic friends lately I feel that it would be proper to write about nothing other than them.
The relationship between diabetics is something that I can describe but unless you are diabetic, it is impossible to fully grasp. People are always asking why my diabetic friends are so special to me, so I will give it my best shot to explain.

There is crazy thing with diabetics where if you see one testing or giving themselves insulin you fell an instant connection with them. You feel like you have been friends with them for a bazillion years even though you met them about 1 minute ago. I believe that we feel this instant connection for the simple fact that we experience the same thing every day. We know what it feels like to be different, to feel high with headaches, and low with the shakes. They know the added stress of controlling those crazy blood sugars, and how hard it is to find a spot to put your pump when you wear a dress. What most people don't think about though is that they know the joy and happiness we feel also. When everyone else is playing the pity party on us, they are the ones who are pushing you to climb mountains and run half marathons :). They want the best out of you and don't want you to give anything less. It's funny to see how they respond to things differently than everyone else. For instance, if you are high and are feeling like poop their reaction will be "Me too" where your friends or parents would be "Drink water, dose, check again with your hands washed, change your site, and stop snacking", don't get me wrong both are great and appreciated, just different.

The benefits of having AMAZING diabetic friends are numerous.
I have been lucky in the fact that I have never experienced this phenomenon called the DENIAL PERIOD. Yes this may sound crazy, but I have never hated, neglected (on purpose), or denied my diabetes. Normally when children who are diagnosed with diabetes hit their teen years they have this denial period, mainly because they are gaining independence and are seeing where they fit in and the last thing they want is the betes. Now do NOT get me wrong. There is absolutely nothing abnormal or wrong with this. Yes it is not good to leave your diabetes unmanaged, but once diabetics get through this they realize how important taking care of their diabetes is. They know the consequences of not taking care of themselves and they know how crappy it feels. So I believe the positives out way the short term negatives. Anyways, I give credit to my diabetic friends (John, Brian, Karlee, Katie, Michelle, Ashley, Stefanie and so many others) for showing me that diabetes is not something that should ever stop you, you have control of it and if people are going to be your friend they are going to accept it. It is really as simple as that.
Another benefit I have gained from my betic friends is that I can seriously do anything. They showed me that I can climb 14,000 ft. mountains, now it is my favorite thing to do. They showed me that I could run (and walk) half marathons, I just finished my 5th. Now I have reached the point where I have grown my wings and am starting to fly on my own. I am being that leader in younger kids lives now through mentoring and it is the crazy chain reaction ever!

Katie!
Michelle!
So thank you to allllllllll my diabetic friends. You are the people who have shaped me into who I am today. You have pushed me to do more than I ever thought I would in life and have showed me what's important. I strive to be like all of you when I grow up. I love you guys more than you will ever know!
John, Me, Erin (awesome diabetic and best friend), and Brian

Stefanie!



Ashley!


Karlee!

1 comment:

  1. U ROK, ASHLEE JO!!
    from Ketone Deb Hadiji, your betes friend (for 47 years) from Hertko Hollow

    ReplyDelete