Sunday, October 24, 2010

It all started when....


When I was in the 3rd Grade my mom and dad noticed that I had been drinking a lot, loosing weight and had been waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom which i had never done before...NEVER. So having a nurse that was a mom, she knew what was wrong right away. Every once and awhile starting in 1st grade I would go low and get shaking but nothing else this is when I started showing hypoglycemia but we would just treat it with crackers and move on with the day. But in 3rd grade when we actually saw that I was getting sick my parents knew that I had Type 1 Diabetes (Oh and so did my teacher and student teacher ... they both had diabetes at that time too, SO WEIRD). Yeah but there was a catch I was deathly afraid to check my blood sugar. I look back on this and laugh, I find it probably my last normal thing before diabetes, to be afraid of a needle haha.... wow how that feeling would change. So my solution was to have my parents to test me in the middle of the night. That night before I was diagnosed I had dance pictures and this is what I looked like, besides for the bad hair haha.. My arms were super thin and I had NO muscle in my body along with being super pale! A couple hours after this picture was taking I went to bed not knowing how different my life would be. My parents in the weeee hours of the morning turned a light on tested my blood sugar... all I remember was the bright light and hearing the number 544. Yep that is the # that labeled me as a diabetic. Those 3 numbers would forever change my life. The next morning we went to the hospital and did blood work and got admited to the pediatric floor where I spent three days learning about this disease called diabetes. 

This was a picture taken a year before I was diagnosed and even here I look like I have more weight.


1 comment: